
Well, our house has been on the good ol' MLS since September...Ugh! It's been a VERY LONG (nearly) 11 months thus far. My gut feeling is that we'll be staying here for a few more years at this point, despite the fact we"ll probably leave listed for another month or two. Apparently, moving just wasn't in the cards for us, and I'm coming to grips with that. There are lots of things I do love about my house...but that's another post.
Having your house "on the market" means you have to have it clean for perfect strangers to come through at any given moment-sometimes prearranged, other times not. Even though we plan on not giving up just yet, there are MANY things I can't wait to be DONE WITH...Here are just a few.
1. Our bed has to ALWAYS be made.

Now, I'm sure some of you out there reading this may be natural "bed makers" who do it everyday just for your own satisfaction...hats off to you-I'm just not one of them! Of course, it's nice to see a perfectly made bed, but there are those days where all you want to do is get out the door for the day-but wait, I CAN'T -I have the make the bed-UGH!
2. Laundry must be put away (or hidden-tehe)

Colin and I have laundry down to a pretty good science, but (well, that pretty much means I do it, he says thanks) but hey, every couple has to come up with what works! Plus, I do have a couple of super secret hiding spots for any last minute unfolded laundry-don't judge, you never know when someone will call to view the home.
3. All sinks must be clean at all times. This means no toothpaste or handsoap globs in bathroom...

And no dishes or food gunk in the kitchen.

While having clean sinks is something I do appreciate at don't mind doing, I hate the feeling of being forced to do so. There are those mornings when I'm headed out the door and I have very strong urges to leave my cereal bowl in the sink...then the guilt and "what if someone calls to look" feeling sets in...Next thing I know, I'm unloading the dishwasher (or the DOW as I like to call it, but again-that's another post)...Just to load one measly bowl and spoon. Hard? No! Annoying at time? YES!!!
4. The dog toys have to be put away!

Now, I'm sure those of you with children think this is nothing, and I'm sure you're right, but it's still ONE MORE THING I HAVE TO DO that otherwise wouldn't really bother me. If the dogs leave a ball, or a Kong, or a chew bone out, personally, I can live with it! However, it's probably not the best way to say, "buy my home" if someone decides to look.
5. Finally, my house has to smell good!

No matter what we have for dinner, or how long it's been since the Wallflower has been changed, or the last time I Febreezed all cloth surfaces, I'm paranoid about how my house smells. With two furry friends, I really despise "dog smell" in my home. However, we all get "used to" how our own homes smell...I just pray I haven't let people look when its not smelling as fresh as a morning daisy (which btw, I think is a weird phrase, since I think daisies stink)...but you get my point. Thankfully I have several handy dandy tart warmers that I can't live without...They are the BEST at helping turn a house into a home with just a few warm Creme Brulee scented tarts!
Now that I've managed the make you all think that my house must be a total pig-sty anytime it's not For Sale. I promise, I really do try to keep my house relatively tidy and clean. My point is, I hate HAVING to do it, just because it's for sale. Now, enough complaining from me...I have to go put my breakfast dishes away!
3 comments:
Hilarious! I told myself I was going to try to make my bed every day this summer...I think I've done it about 5 times total! Keep up the hard work and something good will come of it at some point!
HA! Love it :) I'm the same way...and I'm very proud of you for keeping up on all the annoying chores! Do you think some of these habits will stick after you're house is off the market (or you move to a new house)? Just so you know, I have made my bed about 10 times total in my whole life and I have no desire to change that.
Emilie, you are too funny!! ha ha!!
Post a Comment