We’ve been friends for a while now (35 weeks to be exact). You’ve been there for me day-in-and-day-out, whether I’ve liked it or not. You’ve brought me so much joy along with just a few pains.
As I look back on our “relationship” I remember the rocky start we had. I was elated when you entered my life, despite the way you made me feel. The excitement of announcing our friendship to others in my life was something I will never forget. Nonetheless, you left me exhausted. The thought of you alone made my eyes heavy and my body feel like a 1000 pound weight was laid upon me. You left a terrible taste in my mouth, figuratively, and literally. The “yucky feeling” you gave me was a steady reminder of the miracle of our friendship created. As you were in my life more and more, this feeling passed. I no longer needed to be within minutes of a porcelain throne because of you, and could start eating food with flavor! Our relationship was really growing (in more ways than one).
As we grew together, I got to see my little baby, learn that “it” was really a “he.” I felt good, and was so truly thrilled to be on this journey together. As my waist expanded with you, I felt excited to share the experience with those around me. Dreaming, hoping, planning, and feeling became a part of our daily lives. You gave me to opportunity to feel my son grow, kick, squirm, wiggle, and develop. You gave me the chance to feel a joy that couldn’t be experienced by any other relationship. But again, you have your drawbacks. My right arm was beginning to get tired of being poked and prodded for a simple, yet successful blood draw. My nights grew shorter as I made countless trips to the loo, not to mention the crazy changes in my sleep (or lack thereof) pattern! Sleeping on my side was getting old, too. If hip pain equates to spreading…I won’t be fitting through a standard doorway by the end of our relationship!
Throughout the fall and into the winter, many would ask if I was “over” our relationship. I knew I wasn’t ready to give you up….My baby needed more time to grow and I LOVE having him with me everywhere I go. You did tend to make me awfully forgetful, and many of the “pains” you caused remained, but these were all small sacrifices in return to the gift I was receiving.
Now the snow has fallen, and my babe will soon be here. As it turns out…I think I’m over you! I still love having my son with me wherever I am, but I’m getting tired of sharing my ribs. My belly is like a container of Jiffy Pop, ready to burst any second-I’m sure of it. Pregnancy, my friend, this is all you! I know I’ll never get my old ways of sleeping back, but I’d rather wake to care for a child than simply just to pee (or to be wide awake in the middle of the night for no reason at all-something else you are famous for!). While at first, I was fine with my new wardrobe, now you make me yearn for pants with a button! I’m tired of drinking over 100 ounces of hydrating fluids each day too! Truly, the list of things you’ve made me do is endless, both good and bad, this is just the beginning.
I know we have a few weeks left together, which is fine, as I know it is what the baby needs! You have given me a child, who “like father, like son,” is a little stubborn and very wiggly. I’m ready to meet him, to see what he looks like, and to see who he’ll be! I’m sure we’ll meet again in the future, but for now, our days are numbered! Pregnancy, the Doc says the way this child is immovable, that our relationship will end on January 11th . Overall, our relationship has been good, and something I’ve enjoyed, but I can’t say I’ll miss you too much (or that I’m sad this is a week early) especially knowing the new love I’ll have!!
Yours Truly,
Mama in Waiting

6 comments:
Haha, so true! Hang in there you are almost there.
Em! What a cute post! Hilarious in parts and really sweet in others. So January 11th, huh? Cannot wait to meet the little guy and learn his name! I'm jealous that you're so close to being done!!!
Super cute letter! It's all so true. Strangely, you'll miss your friend when she is gone and then you'll turn into a crazy belly toucher :) Can't wait to come organize the baby center!
Love this letter!!! 26 DAYS!!!!
I love this post Em! What a great letter of your thoughts and feelings throughout your pregnancy. I love reading it from your perspective, as I have yet to enter into this "friendship"!
I love this letter Em! It is special reading your thoughts, feelings and experiences from your perspective as I have yet to enter into this kind of "friendship!" Love it!
Post a Comment