Saturday, September 20, 2008

Roadrash Warrior

Well, many say it is inevitable...Having an AT V and crashing. I'm beginning to think it's true. This last week was one of the bussiest I've had in a long time. From extra meetings at work and homework-things were pretty crazy. Anyway, I was really tired on Wendnesday night after my second "Open House" for the year, I was feeling really tired (I'd been at work for 13 hours) and was headed home to finish up a homework assingment I had due the next afternoon. As I was finally home and changing out of my "professional attire" into some comfy shorts, Colin called me. I was anxious to hear from his since I hadn't seen him all day. He had lefted a voicemail earlier to tell me he was going to hang out at his brother's for the night. Anyway, the second I answered I knew by his voice something was wrong. He proceeded to tell me how he had an accident while riding his 4 wheeler. Thank goodness he was wearing his helmet (he really thinks this saved his life)! He told me how he was riding on some trails, and hit a rough part on the gravel/dirt road. He then recalls being perpendicular to his handle bars where he vaulted off into the air. He landed on his head first, then the rest of his body, continuing to slide down the road. Since he was infront of the ATV at this point, he was also feeling very lucky that the machine veered off instead of running over him. His brother had gotten him cleaned up and over to my parents house, so I knew he was in good hand. Nonetheless, my mind runs through all the worst possible scenarios of what I'll see when I finally get to him, yet at the same time he was speaking to me, so I knew he was alive....the most important part.



There have been so many awful stories in the news of tragic ATV crashes lately, I was already feeling fortunate that I wasn't a widow (I know that's morbid, but it's true). Since Colin's driving was out of commission for the night, by dad drove in to our house to pick me up and took me back to their house, where Colin was resting.



The selfish side of me kept wondering how I was going to get my homework done and care for a wounded husband. Though, I think I was really thinking about homework instead of concentrating on how bad it "could be" right now. I finally made it to my parents to pick up Colin (and the dogs, and drive his truck back). His roadrash was like none I had ever seen. It looked awful. His eyes were dilated, but he did manage to have a "normal" conversation. We drove home, got him cleaned up, and more ice along with some more pain relievers. I debated all night if I should take him to the hospital, but decided to watch him overnight. I set my alarm every hour-and-a-half to make him talk to me....just in case.



Long story short I took him in on Thursday morning. After an exam and x-rays it turns out he was one lucky guy. No broken bones, no stitches, nothing other than an incredibly sore back, some swollen areas on his lower back, arm and hand, and major roadrash! Wow! We are so lucky. Thank goodness for helmets! We know God was watching over us!



This was one of the scariest things we've had in a long time. Now, he's still really, really sore, and his back is starting to heal so extra itchy and stinging, but we know that's a good thing. He's been so tough, it's ridiculous. He went to work on Friday (against my orders). He even did some dishes, and folded laundry while I was gone today (I think he's starting to feel a little guilty that his choices while riding led to more chores and less time for me).



He's safe! He's worth it!



He is my Roadrash Warrior!

My pictures may be a little graphic, but they aren't too bad...Fair warning!
The Roadrash!

A spot on his right arm...luckily no stitches required.

His Left Shoulder is a little scraped.

I think one of the worst things was one the pattern from his back's scrapes was left on his clean t-shirt. It even went through the gauze. Thank goodness for spray-n-wash!

One last thought. Maybe Polaris should call their model of the "Outlaw" the "WidowMaker" instead.

4 comments:

Keith and Meghan said...

I'm so glad he is ok!!!! You poor thing! It's hard work taking care of an injured husband :)

Katherine said...

How scary! I am glad he is doing okay. Good luck taking care of him!

mmsnyder said...

still cant believe those pics!! OUCH.

Edwards Family said...

Ummm, tell him no more ATV stunt riding for a while! we are glad he's ok and hopefully he is serving you breakfast in bed to make up for your lost sleep, or maybe he can write one of your papers for you- haha... but really we'll have to hang out soon, call me when things calm down and we'll meet up!